Today, I’ve finally come to the conclusion that 2nd B is really darn extra. There have been many complaints about him already, but I’d always maintained a neutral stance towards him, and in most instances, even defended him against his irate detractors – until today. My threshold of tolerance for his idiosyncrasies was finally breached. Perhaps, I’ve been more than easily irritable lately (not sure why myself, so don’t ask), though I suspect it’s because the extra-ness of 2nd B had finally reached its apotheosis today. I don’t even know where to start man. Just thinking about it invokes a mish-mash of emotions in me: anger, exasperation, laughter and bewilderment.
“Wong ar, it’s still too glaring, can you switch off the second row of lights?”, said 2nd B.
I duly obliged once more, but that was not the end of it.
“Wong ar, it’s too dark now. I can’t see anything on the chart. Can you don’t switch off the whole of the 2nd row of lights? Just turn off the last square of lights.”, said 2nd B.
By now, my patience was wearing thin, and I curtly replied, “No Sir, I can’t switch off that last square.”
Now, to clarify matters, that wasn’t a petulant act of defiance, but it was really beyond my means to switch off that last square. The lights in the conference room were built in such a way that the switches could only switch off a row of 3 “squares” of lights at one time, and not the individual squares. If you’ve worked in an office before, you’d get what I mean by the “squares”, because I really can’t think of the right word for it now.
Anyway, I managed to solve the problem by switching off that 2nd row of lights and turning on the spotlights that were situated at the 3rd row of lights.
Having ostensibly placated him, I went back to my work.
However, my reprieve proved to be short-lived. Moments later, he called for me again.
At that moment, words could scarcely describe how I felt. Perhaps, the only expression that could err..express my feelings would be that often-used online chatting symbol: … . I was like duh…how on earth do you adjust the lighting so that the glare would be of the same low intensity at every angle. With more sophisticated lighting equipment perhaps, but with normal room lights that just go on or off, I don’t think so.
Unable to provide a viable solution, I left 2nd B to his own devices.
At that time, I thought that would really be the end of it. But oh no…I was so wrong. Shortly after that, Edwin, my supervisor, on 2nd B’s instruction, rushed into the office asking for an extension cord to the power point. Having already had my patience stretched to the limit by 2nd B, I was irked by this request because all the extension cords in the office were already in use and placed in hard-to-reach corners, so removing them would be excruciatingly troublesome. Besides that, since time immemorial, I’ve not heard of any event in the conference room that required an extension cord, so I was quite puzzled at the sudden need for it. Nevertheless, being the obedient soldier that I am, I, with the help of Samuel, my buddy, managed to unearth an extension cord from the musty depths of the decrepit store room in the hall.
Still very much annoyed at the trouble I was put through, I brought the extension cord to the conference room nonetheless. And Lo and Behold! I finally discovered the root of my misery. The bugger of the 2nd B had actually managed to get hold of a portable lamp – which was similar to a table lamp – that could be clipped onto the chart. (I was also told later that the procurement of that portable lamp also troubled another officer greatly, and needless to say, she was less than pleased.) However, the lamp’s cord was too short to reach the AC point, and thus the need for an extension cord arose.
2nd B is really the best. All that trouble just to reduce the glare of the chart. Like seriously, I know 2nd B wants to give a good impression to the VVIPS, but really, that’s taking it a little too far. And quite frankly, I don’t think the VVIPs really give a hoot about the chart; they’re mostly just here for the cheap golf in
That’s not the end of it. Later, Samuel had the misfortune of dealing with 2nd B.
“Sam ar…why is the lamp shining at one spot only? ”, asked 2nd B.
It was a question that would induce anyone to reach uncontrollably for their hair and grab every last strand out in exasperation Like duh…the lamp only had one bulb, so of course it could only shine at one spot.
But really, if I’d been asked that question instead, I would have just told him to line the chart with the Christmas tree lightings to solve the problem once and for all.
Bloody Bugger! 2nd B is really irksome. After today’s incident, my opinion of him has irreversibly changed for good (bad).
Post a Comment