Wednesday, August 17, 2005
Happy Birthday Mum!

It’s my mum’s 46th birthday, as well as Indonesia’s (I-have-no-idea-what)th birthday today (the latter has no relevance to this entry, but it’s just a fun coincidental fact that I decided to pop in). Upon typing this, I realized I’d failed to mention my Paps’s (my dad) birthday on my blog which was about a week ago, on 11 Aug. Rest assured that even though my filial piousness is far from Confucian standards, I still sent my paps an SMS wishing him a happy birthday and a follow-up call later that night (just as I will be doing with my mum), but for some reason or another, I just wasn’t compelled to blog it. I suppose this is just a manifestation of the relatively closer relationship I have with my mum as compared to my Paps. With my Paps, all the conversations I ever have with him these days revolve around money and my tepid life in army, which basically translates to conversations just about money because there’s hardly much to say about the latter. Ironically, with my mum, the issues we discuss hardly dwell on anything fiduciary despite her working in the banking industry, but tend to be more centered on personal stuff like whether or not I still keep in touch with my friends in Singapore, and how my friends are doing etc..

(At this point of time, I must voice out my exasperation with typing this entry; I keep getting my train of thought interrupted by the incessant phone ringing and bell buzzing at the door. Aarghh!!! There goes another bugger at the door again!)

I guess the more personal relationship I have with my mum is the result of her making a greater effort than my dad to take an interest in my personal life – whether that’s good or bad for me is another issue altogether, albeit admittedly, there are times when I prefer the laissez-faire attitude of my paps. Then there’s the fact that I’ve had a longer bonding period (9 months more) with mum than my paps, which makes it pretty inevitable that I’d become closer to my mum considering that I’d have seen the insides of my mum long before I’ve set eyes on my paps or anything else for that matter. Besides, there’s also the small matter of my mum being the more generous parent (to me). My mum scrooges on herself – facials, clothes and shoes notwithstanding – but spends money on me unflinchingly. My paps, on the other hand, fritters away money on useless contraptions from TV Innovations, but is parsimonious with his money when it comes to my individual wants. But of course, the extent of pampering (or lack thereof) is a very minor factor in my relationships with my parents (haha).

Ok la, I shouldn’t speak so disparagingly of my paps. He’s actually pretty nice – both my parents are – but my mum just happens to be nicer, so when my paps is juxtaposed with her, he looks like a villain (haha). Alright, I’ll really be nice now. Happy Belated 48th Birthday Paps! =]

Posted by De Rui at 7:05 PM
0 Comments:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com