Sunday, September 04, 2005
The start of a new era and lots of lame-ass serials

My new supervisor has finally arrived – much to the relief of my incumbent supervisor, Edwin. His successor was supposed to have appeared at the end of February. But oh well, we all know how terribly efficient the admin system in the army works, but I shan’t launch into a diatribe about that now- it’ll take forever. The new dude seems pretty ok – albeit a little poseur with his silver Oakley glasses - but it has only been a few days so it’s still too early to comment. I just hope he is not too enthusiastic, or if he is, he’d better not attempt to “pass the enthusiasm” on to me. FYI: He has an intriguing name, the kind that is Chinese and yet Occidental-sounding at the same time, like Lee Nah and Li Lian; his is Wee Liam.

New boss aside, I have managed to detach myself from that veritably evil sofa – if only just for an hour daily – to work on my Mandarin, which is quite remarkable (the act of studying not my command of Mandarin) if you’re privy to my recent indolence. French is still on the backburner, but it should be up and going – I hope – one I start revving up the mugging engine. Meanwhile, I’ve been immersing myself, quite unhealthily I must add, in movies, Tru Calling (Eliza Dushku is frigging hot man!) and long-winded Taiwanese/Korean drama serials; all of which have been bequeathed to me by Edwin because he doesn’t want to risk a hefty fine bringing those less than legit media back to Singapore. Then again, most of the serials don’t seem to be worth the trouble. The Taiwanese serial that I’m watching right now is some crap about pool, and I don’t know why I’m even bothering to watch it when the plot is so bloody predictable, and the cool pool moves I was hoping for are few and far between. There is a serious dearth of eye candy in the show as well; only one reasonably good-looking actress to ogle at in the show and the dudes don’t look any better either. The best looking one in there bears an uncanny resemblance to Edison Chen with congenitally bad hair. This isn’t too bad if you’re to compare him to the man on the street, but he’s an actor, so the standards have to be upped. Unless he’s playing the protagonist of “Bad Hair Day Every Day”, I don’t see any reason for that horrendous mane. His hairstylist ought to be fired.

Needless to say, watching that show is a shameful waste of my time, but alas, that’s the problem with having too much time on your hands: you waste them. If only I could bottle up all the free time I have now, and save them for when I really need them, like last-minute mugging for exams or getting stuck in traffic on my way to meeting an important client.

Posted by De Rui at 5:13 PM
0 Comments:
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com