Tuesday, January 18, 2005
5 more days...
I can finally count the number of days to my home leave on one hand – 5 more days. 5 more days to salvation. 5 more days to reprieve. For two weeks, I’ll be free from the mad rush of office life. No more incessant ringing of phones; no more having to say “Good Morning Sir/Madam, this is Jalan Aman Comcen.” and no more ear-splitting buzzing at the door. Logically speaking, frissons of excitement should be coursing through my veins faster than ever now as euphoria threatens to engulf me, but paradoxically, as the day of my deliverance from misery approaches, my eagerness to return home has waned instead. Is it because I’ve been cured of my homesickness? Or because, God forbid, I’ve fallen in love with Brunei?
It is not the former, and definitely, most definitely (and I can’t emphasize this enough) not the latter. My tepidity is rooted in the knowledge that after this home leave, my next trip back to Singapore would be a long and arduous wait – much longer than the 3-month and 4-month wait for my indulgence leave and home leave respectively. In the worst-case scenario, it could even be a 10-month wait. On hindsight, perhaps I should have staggered my return trips to Singapore, but being trapped within four walls and having to perform menial tasks daily like an automaton for is mind-numbing, and being separated from family and friends for the first time for so long heartrending. Thus, it is only palpable that I’d grasp at the earliest opportunities to escape from this misery. Sigh…such is the folly that comes in the heat of desperation.
Oh well, perhaps I shouldn’t mull over about the future too much and just look forward to enjoying the two-week hiatus from my office.
It is not the former, and definitely, most definitely (and I can’t emphasize this enough) not the latter. My tepidity is rooted in the knowledge that after this home leave, my next trip back to Singapore would be a long and arduous wait – much longer than the 3-month and 4-month wait for my indulgence leave and home leave respectively. In the worst-case scenario, it could even be a 10-month wait. On hindsight, perhaps I should have staggered my return trips to Singapore, but being trapped within four walls and having to perform menial tasks daily like an automaton for is mind-numbing, and being separated from family and friends for the first time for so long heartrending. Thus, it is only palpable that I’d grasp at the earliest opportunities to escape from this misery. Sigh…such is the folly that comes in the heat of desperation.
Oh well, perhaps I shouldn’t mull over about the future too much and just look forward to enjoying the two-week hiatus from my office.
Posted by De Rui at 9:37 PM
Post a Comment